Metrobus: Judge ordered the suspension of the deforestation in the 9 of July Avenue
Argentina, February 13, 2013
The judge Guillermo Scheiber today issued an injunction that forces the suspension of the deforestation on the 9 de Julio Avenue due to construction of the new Metrobus route in the City of Buenos Aires.
Jonatan Baldiviezo, a member of the association of environmental lawyers, stressed that the measure “forces to suspend immediately any activity involving pruning, transplanting, removal or destruction of public trees” at the same time it also suspended “any activity involving removal or deduction of landscaped spaces in the area affected by the Metrobus “, he told to reporters.
Meanwhile, the judge cited the city government to resolve whether to suspend permanently or not the tree deforestation. There, he’ll consult Macri’s management if they had done environmental impact studies on the construction project and if they planned to cut historic trees within the area.
Several weeks ago, the city government ordered the construction of a new Metrobus route on the 9 of July Avenue, in order to save time for public transport users when passing on the Avenue, which features daily heavy traffic. However, the deforestation was necessary and environmental groups protested against it in court, reason why the judge ordered the measure. Now time will tell what happens with government investment.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet