U.S. worried by rising cases of West Nile virus
October 11, 2012
The U.S. health officials reported new cases of West Nile virus, reaching worrying figures.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention of Diseases reported that just this week there were 280 new cases, reaching 4249 in the year.
The virus, which was discovered in Uganda in the 30s, causes West Nile fever, a disease that is a sub-Saharan African origin producing encephalitis in horses and humans.
The virus grows and spreads from bird to bird by infected mosquitoes. If mosquitoes infected with the virus bite horses or humans, the animal or person can become sick.
80% of those infected have no symptoms; the remaining 20% may have a fever, nausea, and body aches and headaches. The 1% even develops neck stiffness, disorientation, coma and paralysis.