Scientists warn about the danger of alcohol enemas
September 30, 2012
Students of the University of Tennessee used alcohol enemas to get drunk. For experts: “The enemas used with alcohol are not a laughing matter.”
According to the authorities: “One of the students of the University of Tennessee was taken to hospital with a blood alcohol level of 0.40 (milligrams of alcohol per 100 ml of blood), a level five times the legal limit and just in the range that doctors call ‘death zone’ in cases of alcohol poisoning.”
Specialists explain, “Use an alcohol enema involves placing a small tube into the rectum of the person and pour alcohol in the colon. Because alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream, the person gets drunk faster”.
“Our stomachs and livers contain an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (NADP +) that synthesizes ethanol and is less toxic to our body, according to the gastroenterologist, Preston Stewart. The lower gastrointestinal tract lacks this enzyme, so that the lining of the colon absorbs alcohol molecules and sends them directly into the bloodstream. “
“Alcohol invariably reach the liver, but the high alcohol content exceed the processing capacity of the organ. It is extremely dangerous.”
“No one knows for sure when they started using alcohol enemas or how frequent it is used. In 2004, a Texas man died after his wife applied a sherry enema, raising his blood alcohol level to 0.47″.