Madrid: Incident in a massive protest against the government
Madrid, September 25, 2012
A lot of protesters approached the Spanish Congress to repudiate the economic adjustment as they said “it only responds to financial markets,” leaving a “hijacked democracy “.
A police cordon prevented the demonstrators from entering the parliament, through intense repression. Many young men were beaten with batons and some officers were hit by various blunt objects.
The demonstration was called for several days through social networks. The slogan was “to surround” the Congress before the advance setting in the midst of the economic crisis.
Authorities responded with the Spanish penal code, as they said “it provides between six months and one year of prison for those responsible for demonstrations that alter the functioning of parliamentary institutions.”
The spokesman of Coordinadora# 25S, platform that coordinates the movement, said the event is “a nonviolent action. We will not prevent the passage of the congressmen,” he said.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet