Murray is champion at the U.S. Open after beating Djokovic
September 10, 2012
Andy Murray has been enshrined in sports history by becoming the first Briton in 86 years to win a Grand Slam men’s singles.
After winning the gold medal at the Olympic Games in London, the Scottish 25-year-old defeated the reigning U.S. Open champion Novak Djokovic in a thrilling five-setter.
Murray won the first set 7-6 in the tie break before adding the second 7-5. But then again Djokovic roared with the third and fourth 2-6 and 3-6. Murray rallied to win the final 6-2.
The Scot, who has seven days older than his opponent, became the first British male Grand Slam winner since Fred Perry won the same event at Forest Hills in 1936.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet