Fifty killed in China by an earthquake of 5.7 degrees Richter
September 7, 2012
An earthquake of 5.7 degrees on the Richter scale struck southwest China and left nearly 50 people dead, hundreds wounded and heavy damage.
The earthquake caused damage to thousands of building occurred at 11H00 (03H00 GMT), when workplaces were in full swing and people were ready for lunch.
The aftershocks caused panic in several cities, where people rushed out of their homes and offices.
At least 50 people were killed, according to a provisional balance released by the official news agency New China.
The catastrophe also left at least 150 injured and damaged about 20,000 homes, according to a statement from the authorities of Zhaotong, a town in Yunnan province near the border with the province of Guizhou.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet