Cholesterol drugs risks
June 12, 2012
The effect of energy destruction of taking statins is greater than previously thought, scientist said.
Women who take cholesterol drugs are particularly at risk of fatigue. Two out of five female patients had less power than before, with one in ten say that they felt much worse.
Overall, around a fifth of those taking the drug reported that ‘they had less energy, feeling fatigue when they make any effort or both compared with nonusers.
The researchers say, “The side effects are greater than expected, and some people with low risk of heart disease may be better not take them.”
More than eight million adults at risk of heart attacks and strokes are already taking statins and some experts believe that ‘the benefits means that all healthy adults aged over 50 should take them.’
Currently, statins are limited to people with a risk of 20 percent or more of heart attack or stroke over the next ten years.
Although some patients had reported intolerance to fatigue or exercise with the use of statins, previous tests had not observed fatigue effort or energy impaired in patients taking them compared with placebo treatment.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet