Argentina won the doubles of the Davis Cup
Argentina, April 7, 2012
After five hours of play, the Argentine couple Schwank-Nalbandian beat Cilic and Karlovicof Croatia 3-6, 7-6, 6-3, 6-7 and 8-6. The home team could advance to the semifinals if they win one of the singles tomorrow.
The first set was won by the visitors for 6-3 easily. The second represented the comeback of the Argentines, who could match the development of the meeting fighting to the tie-break, eventually winning the set 7-6.
Then came the third. Schwank and Nalbandian confirmed that they imposed their game and took the third with simplicity, sentencing a 6-3 which put them 2-1 up.
However, since the beginning of the fourth set, the game was really fought. Cilic and Karlovic played pure courage and succeeded, after a very long set and stretch the match into a fifth set.
The fifth set did not escape the logic of all others: it lasted too many time, was fought and played with more heart than legs. The set ended 8-6 in favor of Argentina, and so Jaite’s team took the third point of the series to be 2-1 up. If Del Potro and Monaco win tomorrow, the national team will be in the semifinals of the Davis Cup.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet