Pilar: A street was closed due to the crime wave
Buenos Aires Province, September 8, 2011
A group of residents of the neighborhood Los Mirasoles in Pilar decided to close a public street due to the huge wave of crimes that occurred in that block and after the lack of response from the municipal authorities.
The decision does not have the permission of the mayor and another group of neighbors are opposed to the measure as they say it is not a solution to insecurity and that actually is undermining their right to free transit. In this sense there is a clash of rights as the others argue that their right to security is also violated.
Chillán Street between Chubut and Potosi was closed with a huge fence that has a gate that it is locked with padlocks, which has changed the face of the block.
One of the neighbors who pushed the measure told to M24Digital, “It is blocked only for vehicles so anyone who wants to walk from one block to another can do it.”
While acknowledging that the municipality didn’t approve this decision, he said that a note was left in the municipality with the signature of those who blocked the street. “We were desperate, crime continued and we had no answer, so we had to do this. We want to prevent criminals from moving freely. There are places that by their nature are dead end and neighbors are very vulnerable.”
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet