6 South American countries may play in Brazil 2014
March 3, 2011
FIFA decided to maintain the quota of seats for the Conmebol in 4.5, which means there could be 6 teams in 2014 if Brazil wins fifth in the playoff.
Brazil, already qualified for being the organizer, will be the fifth South American country to participate in the 2014 World Cup. 4 CONMEBOL countries will be classified and one will go to playoffs.
The “change” is actually a renewal of quotas for the World Cup. FIFA decided to grant the same seats for South Africa 2010: 13 places for Europe, 5 for Africa, 4.5 for South America, 4.5 for Asia, 3.5 for the Concacaf (North and Central America and the Caribbean) and 0.5 for Oceania.
In this way, the South American team that ranks sixth in these playoffs will play against a team from the Concacaf or the Asia-Oceania qualifiers.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet