Rousseff prepares her Media Law inherited from Lula
Brazil, February 24, 2011
Dilma Rousseff, president of Brazil, ordered the revision of a law draft created during the Lula administration. It has the objective to regulate media inside the country and would affect mainly the digital media.
The project, elaborated by former Social Communication minister Franklin Martins, seeks to remove dispositions or words that may be interpreted as an attempt to influence the contents of the information.
Minister of Communications Paulo Bernardo said: “We must make sure that this project is only about the regulation of electronic media. Never will the government present a text that has any intention of imposing any media control. That will never come from the government”, the official said.
As happened in Argentina, the subject will be put into intense discussions because “if it was not this way, the draft would be considered as a tool of censorship, and we shall not allow that to happen”, Bernardo explained.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet