Australia: Over 200.000 people affected by floods
Photo:POOL NEW / REUTERS
December 31, 2010
Julia Gillard, Australian Prime Minister, makes its way through the northeast area of the country that was affected by the worst floods in the last 50 years.
Anna Bligh, Prime Minister of the state of Queensland, reported that “more than 200 thousand people were affected in an area larger than France and Germany combined”.
And said that “the cost of the disaster is of billions of dollars, taking into account the damage to infrastructure, crops and forced delays in the mining industry”.
Experts believe that “large volumes of water that now afflict the city of Rockhampton will move toward the coast”.
They fear that “in the southern of the country the high temperatures (above 40 degrees) and high winds can cause forest fires”.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet