Brazil: The Superior Electoral Court intervenes over offenses to Jose Serra
Brazil, October 30, 2010: The Superior Electoral Court granted Brazilian president candidate Jose Serra the right to reply for offenses made viaTwitter by Rui Goethe da Costa Falcão, coordinator of Dilma Rousseff’s electoral campaign.
The Court forced Falcão to “immediately publish two messages on the same network stating that the opposition candidate’s campaign has always acted legally, with integrity and respect for voters.”
It is the first time the justice involves in a social network site, although it is common to grant the right of reply for offenses committed against candidates in radio or television.
The second round between Serra and Rousseff to replace Lula Da Silva as Brazil President will be this Sunday October 31.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet