Elisa Carrio: “It would be a tragedy if Kirchner becomes secretary of the ‘Unasur’”
Deputy Elisa Carrio, the leader of the Civic Coalition, said today that “it would be a tragedy if the former Argentine President Néstor Kirchner is appointed to be the general secretary of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR).
Carrio believes that “It is important to call a democratic politician to be the general secretary” and that “It would be the same if the Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez is also called. We must be careful with the institutions that arise, because people who are placed are foundational; can make them die or grow, and that would be a tragedy for America.”
Authorities of the government of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, began to establish contacts with the countries of the region to seek accession for the candidacy of former president that was initiated in Ecuador.
Government started to obtain the support of most nations of the region, including Uruguay and Peru, who showed his doubts about the proposal, and now must convince Colombia and defined the president of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, to establish former President Kirchner as general secretary, to be accepted unanimously for the UNASUR.
Official sources consulted by international media reported that “there was a good feeling aboout the nomination of Kirchner in the dialogues held this week with President Alan García from Peru, during the visit of the president to that country.
They also hope that Jose Mujica, president of Uruguay, will support the initiative, after the dialogues he had with Cristina Fernandez.
Instead the government of Colombia avoided talking about the candidacy of Kirchner, but sources close to the executive of this country say that “the administration of Álvaro Uribe opposes the nomination.”
Néstor Kirchner had already postulated to be the general secretary of the UNASUR two years ago, but failed, because Uruguay, Peru and Colombia opposed the nomination.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet