Boca Juniors vs. River Plate ruined by the rain
Argentina’s two most popular clubs, Boca Juniors and River Plate are both stuck near the bottom of the standings in the Clausura championship. Both clubs have also failed to qualify for the Copa Libertadores, hence, both desperately needed to beat their arch rivals today.
Fans didn’t care about the rain falling in Buenos Aires today, or the poor performance of their teams, they have crowded the stadium since long before the match started at 3 pm.
Boca is winless in its last seven games, and has eight points in nine matches. A loss to River at home would further anger Boca’s fans.
But there was no time for much, Refferee Hector Baldassi decided to stop the match after only 10 minutes of the first half, as the pitch was in no shape for anything but water sports.
According to the information available, the match would be continued next Wednesday at 5 pm.
Thus, fans of both teams were left emty handed after standing undr the rain for hours. They might well consider, given the problems thair teams are facing, it would have been worse to head back home defeated.
Starting line ups:
Boca Juniors: Javier García; Hugo Ibarra, Ezequiel Muñoz, Luiz Alberto and Claudio Morel Rodríguez; Gary Medel, Jesús Méndez and Matías Giménez; Juan Román Riquelme; Nicolás Gaitán and Martín Palermo. Coach: Abel Alves.
River Plate: Daniel Vega; Paulo Ferrari, Alexis Ferrero, Gustavo Cabral y Juan Manuel Díaz; Matías Almeyda, Oscar Ahumada and Rodrigo Rojas; Marcelo Gallardo; Rogelio Funes Mori and Gustavo Canales. Coach: Leonardo Astrada.
Stadium : Boca Juniors.
Refferee: Héctor Baldassi.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet