Juanes receives threats on Twitter and fears for his life
Colombian singer Juanes, who resides in Key Biscayne, filed a police report saying he had received life threatening messages in his Twitter account.
The police report was filed August 15 at the Key Biscayne police department. He said he feared for the safety of him and his family.
The threatening messages are from an opponent of the singer’s scheduled concert in Havana.
many artists, including exiled Cubans, have also come to Juanes’ defense, highlighting the longstanding divide about whether to engage in dialogue with Cuba or not.
“Ninety miles of border, of wall, of lack of communications, of pain and death,” the 17-time Latin Grammy winner Juanes wrote on Twitter Monday, citing the distance between Florida and Cuba. “Don’t you think it would be good that they talk after 50 years?”
But Cuban-Americans like singer Willy Chirino and actress María Conchita Alonso have issued harsh statements criticizing the Sept. 20 “Paz Sin Fronteras” (“Peace Without Borders”) concert.
“A concert for peace? In Cuba? Please, that would only occur to a naive, ignorant or cynical person,” Alonso said in a statement.
Protesters seem particularly angry at Juanes’ chosen location — Revolution Plaza — and his plan to perform with well-known Cuba-based singers like Silvio Rodríguez and Amaury Pérez, who they charge are supporters of the Castros’ government.
A small group of Cubans on Miami’s Calle 8 last Friday even hammered to pieces Juanes’ CDs
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from ... to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet